Fire Protection Code Compliance
When you consider the fire protection measures your building needs, you likely have several goals in mind: you want to protect your assets, eliminate loss of life, and make your building code compliant. Conforming to the codes and standards established by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) lets you accomplish these goals.
You may be unnerved to learn that the NFPA has over 300 complex codes. That’s a lot of rules to follow! How can you make sure you’re always in compliance with these fire protection codes to maximize building safety and avoid costly penalties? Just follow these tips!
Familiarize Yourself with Fire Protection Codes
Odds are you don’t have to worry about all 300 NFPA codes and standards. Read up on the ones that seem particularly relevant to your business, so you have an idea of what’s required.
Many code titles make it easy to see what industries they apply to. For example, NFPA 13R is the Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in Low-Rise Residential Occupancies. And NFPA 30 is the Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code, which you know is relevant if you store such liquids in your building.
Follow Basic Fire Protection Tips
While the industry you work in determines the exact fire safety methods you should pursue, nearly every commercial building benefits by following these suggestions:
- Keep storage areas and hallways clean and organized. Clutter can fuel a growing fire or block access to emergency exits.
- Dispose of combustible materials properly. For example, you should discard oiled rags and cooled ashes in a sealed metal container.
- Provide fire extinguisher training for all new employees and repeat training once a year.
- Lock up your building at night to help prevent arson activity.
- Report any electrical hazards and equipment malfunctions to the proper authorities.
- Make sure employees only smoke in designated areas.
- Create an evacuation plan and post escape route information in public areas on each floor of your building.
- Post emergency contact information next to all telephones for quick access if a fire breaks out.
Work with a Professional Fire Protection Company
The very best way to ensure fire protection code compliance is to team up with a company in your area that specializes in fire protection. Here’s where Unifour Fire & Safety comes in.
We’ve been helping to prevent commercial fires throughout the Southeast for over 30 years. We can inspect your building, pinpoint any compliance issues, recommend improvements, and perform the changes you need to bring your building up to code. We can also ensure code compliance from day one if you’re constructing a new building in the Southeast.
Choose Unifour Fire & Safety as your full-service, one-stop shop for every fire protection service you need. We offer it all, from fire sprinkler installation and fire extinguisher recharge services to fire alarm testing and suppression system inspections.
Contact us today for more information on how we can help keep your building up to code!